Sunday, November 26, 2006

Dixie Chicks

The Dixie Chicks were in Oakland last week and Karen and I had the opportunity to see them in concert. I was not really that aware of their music all that much, but was aware of the controversy that surrounded them in 2003, when Natalie Maines, their lead singer, made a remark that was widely reviled in the country music business. (She basically said that she was ashamed that the President was from Texas). This was on the eve of the war and "patriotism" was running high as were the President's approval ratings.

So, being fervently anti-war myself, I was interested in seeing them, even though I didn't know much of their music. I had bought their current album just a few days before so that I had some background to go on and liked some of the songs.

Well, the concert exceeded my expectations, both for the music, which I find infectious and really engaging, and the girls are all great musicians - but for the reception the crowd gave them and the support for their position.

Then, yesterday I saw the documentary "Shut Up and Sing", which is about the Dixie Chicks and their story since that fateful day in 2003 when Natalie said what she said. I would encourage everyone who believes in free speech and is concerned about what is happening with the whole idea of free thought and real debate about issues to see the movie.

I'm very enamored of the Dixie Chicks right now and have now become a fan for life. One can only hope that they never shut up and by all means do keep singing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home