Monday, November 13, 2006

Are We Happy Now?

Greetings all. Long time between postings, I know.

Well, I couldn't let pass the opportunity to comment on last week's events, because, we should be happy right?

I think we should, but I also think there are some interesting times and dialogues ahead. Clearly there is a mood for some change in the country. Unclear exactly whether that change is one of the radical kind or whether people are just so fed up with politics as a whole (because even with all of this, we still have a minority of the eligible electorate even bothering to vote).

I think it has to be a positive that we weren't subjected to this notion of pandering to a small base of highly energized voters being the only basis for victory and that we didn't have to hear about "values" as the driving force behind voting patterns. Yes, same sex marriage continues to be voted down, except in Arizona of all places - but people of common sense seem to still exist in places like South Dakota, where they had the good sense to vote down a complete ban on abortion that was highly misogynistic in nature and did pander to that "values" idea that I continue to think has no particular place in the discussion of what we actually want government to do.

So, with Rumsfeld now gone, Bolton likely to go, Santorum gone, Dems in control of House and Senate (and all that implies), Bush in full contrition mode, perhaps we can have some realistic political debates about war and peace, The proper role of the US in the world, deficits and the selling of the country to foreign interests, health care, etc.

The next two years do seem crucial to any hope or idea of a government, divided or not, working to take the best ideas from either side of the political spectrum and trying to raise the level of hope and expectations for all citizens as we head into what should be a very interesting presidential election cycle.

Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paul: For what's its worth, I agree for the most part. I don't trust Bush to even consider that he can be in a contrition mode. He is a dishonest man who knows how to play by his own rules. He reminnds me of the manipulative addict or alcoholic who can't separate truth from fiction. I should know as I was in that place far too long. Sooner or later this will all catch up to him as it does to all of us. I am not talking about a hereafter. I think we pay the price for our actions at interesting times in our lives.
I was pleased to see the "religious right" get beat, especially in Arizona. I know that it was a surprise, but so many new people have moved to that state that it shouldn't be totally surprising. Look what happened in the Stockton area with Pombo. Same dynamics.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home