Tuesday, February 21, 2006

A Duckie and A Horsie

Jo Jewell contributed the following:

Oh how exciting it was to see this forum! To read and know full well that you too, could write and other people would read it. My reaction was one like in first grade; seeing someone else's writing led me to raise my hand: "Me! Me, oh pick me! I want to talk!" then when called upon, then, just like in first grade, lowering my hand and looking down, a bit startled that I didn't have anything to say.

That is, until now-"Oh, Oh! Pick me! Read this, pick me! Oh, oh, Pick Me!""

Okay, Jo, do you have something to share?

"Well, Yes I do. I would like to share about impermanence, about insights and insecurities, or perhaps more to the point- the insight to be gained from insecurity, with a wee dash of insecurity about that insight. Shall we dance? Cha cha cha...

It's about a Peanuts cartoon I saw a long time ago: Charlie Brown, Shroeder, and Lucy are laying on a hill looking up at the clouds in the! sky. Lucy says, "Shroeder, what do you see in the clouds?" Shroeder responds by saying, "I see Beethoven, creating the final movement to one of his greatest symphonies." "Yeah," says Lucy, "over there I see Einstein working on the theory of relativity." Then Schroeder asks, "What about you Charlie Brown? What do you see?" Charlie Brown says, "Well... I was going to say I saw a Ducky and a Horsie but I changed my mind."

Before leaving a daylong meditation at Spirit Rock, the teacher sent us away with the encouragement to live in the moment by saying "Let us pause and remember that all we hold dear will eventually not be- that we ourselves will die and everything we know and love will die as well."

Maybe my southern upbringing is to blame, but that just didn't perk me up. I didn't feel that ole' time joie de vivre deep down in my bones.But I did smile as I saw the yellow "Yield to the Present" sign as I drove away.

And I must say I was really hap! py with the sight and sound and smell of David cooking in the kitchen and Olivia drawing at the table when I got home.

Who was it that said that all of man's suffering stems from his inability to sit quietly for five minutes?

Wes "Scoop" Nisker believes that our government is in the final stages of imperialism, which through my simplified lens means that most are starting to see that the Emperor has no clothes. What is it about our kind that we want so much to be "right" about things? And then to demand everyone else not only see and hear that we are "right" but to believe and even live according to our "right" way?

Maybe it is part of that same impulse that leads us to raise our hands, even when we don't really have anything to say. Or the one that frustrates us to stop short after we were so confident and happy about seeing that Ducky and Horsie in the clouds.

Which leads this hand raiser to say, "I'm through for now, I'm done." W! ith a lowered head, wondering if this was actually anything to say.

Oh well, You can call on someone else now or perhaps it is your turn.

Jo Jewell

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home